28/09/2020 3:36 local time
The Palácio da Bolsa, headquarters and property of the Porto Commercial Association, is a neoclassical building, which began to be built on October 6, 1842, the solemn date for laying the first stone, given the closure of the Casa da Bolsa do Comércio which forced Portuguese traders to discuss their business in the open air.
Its more than 180 years of existence originate from the night of July 24, 1832, during the siege of Porto, when a huge fire occurs in the convent of S. Francisco, of which only the current church remains.
It was on these ruins of the old convent, later donated by D. Maria II, by issuing the letter of the Concession Law, dated June 19, 1842, that the merchants built the Palácio da Bolsa to establish the square or bag in it commerce and the court of first instance. Interestingly, in order to guard against possible financial problems that could arise from the onerous nature of the work itself, the queen ordered that the Commercial Association of Porto would have at their disposal an extraordinary recipe, for a period of ten years, on the products that circulated through Customs from Porto.
With a mixture of architectural styles, the building presents in all its splendor traces of the 1840th century neoclassical, Tuscan architecture, as well as the English neo-paladian. Many men participated in the construction of the Palácio da Bolsa. Starting from Joaquim da Costa Lima Júnior, in office from XNUMX (he submits the plan, budget and details of the Palácio da Bolsa project), Gustavo Adolfo Gonçalves de Sousa, Tomás Augusto Soller, José Macedo Araújo Júnior, Joel da Silva Pereira and, finally ending with José Marques da Silva, last architect and decorator of the Palace.
The building was built over almost 70 years, had six main architects, dozens of master carvers, plasterers, painters, gilders, masons and hundreds of workers, who always gave it the best. With the implantation of the Republic, on October 5, 1910, the Palácio da Bolsa was inventoried and vacated and public ownership of the building was carried out on February 11, 1911. One of the pictures of a monarch present in space, that of D. Carlos I, was vandalized with two pistol shots. However, contrary to what happened in other cases, this building does not go into decay or stagnation and during the consulate of Sidónio Pais it returns to the hands of its worthy and legitimate owners.
Authentic live classroom, the Palácio da Bolsa, in addition to being a unique and exclusive place, annually attracts more than 300 thousand visitors, being among the most visited monuments in the North of Portugal.
Stock Exchange Palace, Rua de Ferreira Borges, Porto, Portugal